● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Thursday 26 April 2018

Pointedly

It's called a manipulation table. You lie on your belly with most of your face pushed down through a slot in the upholstery. Thus you may talk in a muffled way, fighting off an enhanced flow of saliva.

At the peak of the procedure there were 17 needles bristling my back, not one visible to me. Most were introduced into my flesh surreptitiously except one that was long enough to get through the unlovable bulge of my gluteus maximus (ie, backside). That one hurt just a bit.

I was apprehensive about two that were stuck in the back of my neck close to my skull. However my faculties continued to function.

There followed a twenty-minute wait. Although he'd clearly attempted to suppress his accent, I identified the needle-pusher as Welsh. A very minor thought occurred to me; in Wales my first name is more popular than in England, sometimes shortened to Rhodri. Rhodri sounds more vigorous, more masculine but alas it's too late to change now.

He'd been a rock climber but gave up when his "power-to-weight ratio" became unfavourable. Me too and I used the same phrase, thought I'd invented it.

The needles were removed in seconds and were disposed of. I was delighted he had the wherewithal to pay by credit card. VR was waiting in the Tesco café and as I walked there I could hold myself erect without pain, the first time for nearly four months. VR said "Go again." Later I booked another appointment.

The following day I walked the 1000 yards to pick up The Guardian at the filling station. Previously I’d been forced to use the car. A fast pace seemed to help. The next test will be whether I can stand up for my singing lesson.

10 comments:

  1. A better result than when you stood on a sea urchin Yugoslavia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, RR and excellent news that the pain has diminished. I have been thinking of acupuncture myself for various arthritic-associated pains, which interfere with my sleep. Your experience has confirmed my thoughts and I shall book an appointment pronto!

    Incidently, I am resurrecting my blog. I miss it and the involvement of it. So shall look forward to your interesting comments and, no doubt, being taken to task occasionally. (I am a glutton for punishment).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir Hugh: Oh no. Good things are always likely to be more sterile (of writing opportunities) than bad things. There's a world I could explore about the aftermath of the sea urchin. Each night on the drive back from Jugo I lay on the bed and VR took five spines out of my foot with an unaesthetised pin. Five was about as much as I could bear. But it allowed me to reflect on the nature of pain. Compared with real pain (eg, the dislocated shoulder with the chipped scapula; sciatica Mk 1 - which were both waiting to happen) the pin was probably peanuts. Apprehension was the bigger ordeal; knowing it would happen and getting myself into a frame of mind to bear it.

    As always my mind goes back to the most terrifying book I have ever read: Maurice Herzog's account of the French Annapurna expedition. The physical things were horrific, but imagine preparing oneself for them. If you haven't read it, don't. You're far too queasy.

    Avus: In my role as the gentle St Francis of the blogworld I have uttered a few encouraging words on your revived blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! Although, what an odd experience. Ouch. Now I think you really should change your name to Rhodri. It sounds like a character in a sword and sorcery tale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colette: I'm the one with the Kalashnikov.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sea urchin! Ah, tales of the past torments.

    Like Colette, I go for Rhodri. And am also glad you are feeling better. And that you will continue to be a happy hedgehog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marly: My only misgiving about Rhodri is that appears to lack a pendant and alliterative adjective: Rhodri the Rebarbative, ... the Rufous, ... the Raucous, ... the Rectilinear. Or perhaps a noun: ... the Raccoon, ... the Rhomboid, ... the Rodent.

    I need to ponder this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ThatsT really good news. Acupuncture fixed my husband's back when he was suffering a long bout of pain. I hope it gives you lasting relief too -- my own experience is that it works very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhodri the Rhodolite--what a gem he is!
    Rhodri the Rhododendron--what a fleur he is!
    Rhodri the Rhode Islander--so small, so edged with water!

    Nouns, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth: It feels unique when it's happening to you. Then you discover that everyone you know has had it - and successfully! Delighted to hear you're both part of the club.

    Marly: I'm experimenting. See my homepage pic.

    ReplyDelete