● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Thursday 18 September 2014

Time to shed a wee tear?

Today (18/9/14) Scots may vote for independence, making Great Britain less great, and wrecking the U in the UK. The pro arguments are understandable, justifiable given England's historical hatefulness, occasionally tedious (especially in re. currency), and the polls say neck and neck.

I'm no patriot. My Country Right Or Wrong is a buffoon’s credo (How about  Faute de mieux  - for want of something better?) But I don't want to lose the Scots. As you would expect, my reasons are trivial.

I envy their ACCENTS except Deep Glaswegian which is impenetrable and employs a unique vocabulary. The others - especially Edinburgh and the Western Isles - are profoundly seductive.

I envy their ARTICULACY The BBC's coverage involves many vox pop interviews. The sentences parse, the reasons are well marshalled, the tone is temperate. Damnit, they sound well-educated, their opinions bubble with gaiety.

I envy their GEOGRAPHY. From a good map examine that raggedy west coast, imagine the brown contours. There's beauty there.

Luckily I have no vote because it would be no. Thus siding with our dreadful prime minister. His origins lie in public relations. He too wants the Scots to stay (losing them he'll be blamed); his voice cracked, tears incipiated on one occasion. But a lifetime devoted to insincerity only evoked Mathilda - who told such dreadful lies.

JOE’S NUDGE
For once it isn’t anonymously chosen. Burns, who else?

Then let us pray that come it may,
(As come it will for a' that,)
That Sense and Worth, o'er a' the earth,
Shall bear the gree, an' a' that.
For a' that, an' a' that,
It's coming yet for a' that,
That Man to Man, the world o'er,
Shall brothers be for a' that.


Note: Bear the gree: be successful

3 comments:

  1. The Burns is brilliant. The politicians are despicable. I love what you have written......

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot better than that silly one about the mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both: As you can see, and as I expected, I stirred up a cyberspace-wide storm of apathy. Longer responses in next post. You were wise to opt for Burns. I've become an enthusiast and posted slavishly about him via this link:

    http://ldptonedeaf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/rising-above-hanging-comma.html

    ReplyDelete